A blog is a regularly updated website or web page, which is typically run by an either and individual or a group of people, which is written in an informal or conversational style. Do you want to start a blog the right way? Starting a blog might seem terrifying, but guess what, you are not alone. Today, we are going to see how we can open a blog using Blogger and WordPress.
How to start a Blog
Before you start a blog, there are two vital things that you need, which are;
1. A Domain name
A domain name is a link that is typed by a user to get to your site, in other words, it is your website address on the internet e.g techinfo.com.ng. If you are looking for great and affordable domains, I advice you to check these domains These sites offer cheap and affordable domain registration & web hosting packages.
2. Web hosting package
A web hosting package is where your website lives on the internet. offer free domain names when you purchase any of their hosting plans.
To start a blog, you need to choose a blogging platform, I am going to recommend either Blogger or WordPress blogging platform which are one of the most used blogging platforms in the world.
How to start a blog with Blogger
Blogger is a blog-publishing service that allows multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. It was developed by Pyra Labs, which was eventually bought by Google in 2003, the blogs are hosted by Google at a subdomain of blogspot.com. Starting a blog with Blogger platform is very easy because it doesn’t require any installation or any stress, all it requires is your gmail account.
- Go to Blogger.com.
- Tap on CREATE YOUR BLOG.
- You will be asked to choose an account. If you have logged into your gmail account in that device, you should see your account there. If you have not logged into your gmail account, just click on use another account, your email username and password will be required from you, input it and log in.
- You will be asked to put your blog Title, Address and choose your theme. Hit Save and your blog has been created.
To view your blog on the web, go to your blog address that you used when you were asked to complete the task mentioned in procedure 4 e.g techinfo.blogspot.com.
How to start a blog with WordPress
There are two types of WordPress blogging platforms wordpress.com and wordpress.org (also known as a self-hosted WordPress). 80% of most blogs use the wordpress.org blogging platform, why? Because it is free to use, easy site customization,installation of free and paid plugins and money making without any restrictions. For you to start a WordPress blog, you need a domain name i.e .com, .tk, .ng e.t.c and a web hosting package.
Purchase a web hosting package from your hosting provider or purchase from QServers, after making your purchase, you will receive an email with details on how to login to your web hosting control panel (cPanel). cPanel is where you manage everything from support, emails and other things, but most importantly, this is where you install WordPress.
- Go to your cPanel, in the cPanel, you will see lots of small icons for different services, it can be a bit confusing but ignore over 90% of it because they are of no use at the moment. Scroll down to the SOFTWARE or SOFTACULOUS APPS INSTALLER depending on how you see it and click on the WordPress icon, you will be redirected to Softaculous WordPress.
- Click on Install. There are two types of installation methods, they are; Quick install and Custom install, choose the one best suited for you, set your software setup(delete the wp in the Directory section), site settings, Admin Account, Language, and hit Install.
- Congratulations! Your WordPress blog has been created. Your WordPress login will look like this – http://yoursite.com/wp-admin. Use the link to access your WordPress dashboard.
I hope this helped you, if you are wondering if you can start a blog without really needing domain name and web host, yes you can using blogger. Blogger offers free domain name in the form of example.blogspot.com. If you have any question, drop in the comment box below.