One major tool that makes WordPress one of the best blogging platform is called a Plugin. ithemes defines WordPress Plugins as bits of software that can be uploaded to extend and expand the functionality of your WordPress site.
Plugins makes WordPress platform easy to use. One primary factor that distinguishes WordPress from Blogger platform, is the availability of Plugins. Let’s say I want to place Facebook’s Like My Page Widget on my Blogger Blog homepage, I’ll be required to copy and paste a HTML code to the sidebar widget.
With WordPress, it is totally a different scenario. There are so many plugins that you can use to do add Facebook’s Like My Page Widget, for example, Jetpack plugin or SILICON COUNTER. What am I trying to say? I’m trying to say that with WordPress, you do not need to be a guru at coding, plugins are there to do the coding for you.
Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages of using Plugins for WordPress. They are;
Advantages of using Plugins on WordPress
- It can help you accomplish different programming goals on your website.
- It makes the inclusion of social media on your site very easy.
Disadvantages of using Plugins on WordPress
- Plugins can make your website vulnerable to hacking. These issue can be quite serious and this happens with plugins that are not kept updated. The issue can be avoided if all your Plugins are kept updated on regular basis.
- Installing too many Plugins can slow down your site. It is advisable to choose and use your plugins wisely. In addition to that, if you notice any form of lagging after installing a plugin, it may be because the coding on that Plugin is not written well, so you may try considering another type of plugin.
Now that we’ve had a sneak peak of the advantages and disadvantages of using Plugins on WordPress, let’s look at how to install Plugins on WordPress.
How to install Plugins on WordPress
- Go to your WordPress dashboard.
- Under the dashboard, click on Plugins.
- Click on Add New.
- You can either upload a plugin that was downloaded online or use the search bar.
- Search for your preferred plugin. Let’s use Jetpack by WordPress.com.
- Install and hit Activate.
With those steps above, you have successfully installed a plugin on WordPress. As you can see, this process is quite easy and it does not require too much work. If you encounter any problem, leave a comment in the comment section below.